Read the following words and phrases and their definitions.
- phenomenon - an interesting fact that is unusual or difficult to understand or explain fully
- visibility - the distance people can can see as determined by light and weather conditions
- plows - vehicles used for clearing snow from a road, driveway, etc.
- bolt - a bright line of light that appears in the sky during a storm; a flash of lightning
- springtime - the season that follows winter
- tricky - difficult
- unstable - changing all the time, not fixed
- muffled - of sounds: not loud because of a wrapping or some other sort of blocking; muted
- What is “thundersnow”?
- What is the tricky part for making thundersnow happen?
- Can you hear the thunder clearly during thundersnow? Explain your answer.
Extra reading assignment
- Read this article about all sorts of winter storms.
- List all the weather phenomena described in the article.
- Find a picture and/or video of each weather phenomenon.
Fun fact: While this post is being written, actual thundersnow is happening outside.